GREEN SCREEN Guide to Filming in London.
Film London. - Click here to view.
In your buildings:
Heating, cooling and ventilation
- Reduce temperature for night-time hours (eg set heating in frost protection mode)
- Check thermostats are carefully situated (ie away from drafts and direct sunlight) and set them for lower temperatures in workshops and storage areas.
- Install a 'deadband control' between heating and cooling so that neither is turned on until temperatures are outside acceptable levels of comfort (typically 19 - 24 degrees Celsius)
- Install air quality sensors and temperature sensors (Investment required. Payback estimate = 1-2 years).
- Turn down your thermostat by one degree. On average this can save up to eight per cent on heating costs.
- Use automated controls (rather than manual); install thermostatic valves on wet radiators (Investment required. Payback estimate = 1.5 years).
Boiler renewal and controls.
- Switch to high efficiency/condenser boilers and convert oil boilers to gas. New boilers are over 15 per cent more efficient. Boilers have an official efficiency rating of A to G, with A being the most efficient.(Investment required. Payback estimate = 5 years).
- service your boiler annually.
- Ensure building insulation is brought up to minimum standards and improve further where practical.
- Additional insulation to each floor level will reduce the impact of heat gain rising through buildings
- improve insulation of hot water storage (tank and pipe) and electricheating cupboards (Investment required. Payback estimate = 1-2 years).
In the office:
- Replace existing bulbs with energy saving bulbs (Investment required. Payback estimate = 2.5 years).
- Fit timer switches, sensors and lighting control systems to turn off lights when there’s no one around (Investment required. Payback estimate = 1 year).
- Maximise natural light by cleaning fixtures, diffusers and windows regularly.
- Use Video Conferencing where face-to-face meetings are not essential.
- Use cycle couriers
- Use email or Royal Mail rather than couriers for non sensitive/non urgent mail.
- Turn off computers, monitors, printers and photocopiers when not in use, particularly overnight and on weekends. If you can’t switch off the entire computer, turn off the monitor and printer.
- Set photocopiers to energy saving mode during the day.
- Unplug video players, television monitors and other similar equipment with stand-by mode when not in use.
- Dispose of your Electronic Waste and Electrical Equipment correctly. Since July 2007, under the WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) directive all businesses need to dispose of equipment in a sustainable way. When you purchase electronic equipment ensure your supplier specifies in the contract how these items need to be disposed at the end of their life cycle.
- Avoid using bottled water as much as possible.
Working with suppliers.
- Minimise the frequency of deliveries/collections through better planning.
- Sign up to the Green Procurement Code. See www.greenprocurementcode.co.uk for more information.
- Use suppliers that source or manufacture their products locally
- When buying office equipment such as computers, monitors, printers, and photocopiers, look for models with good energy-efficiency ratings which switch to a power-saving mode when not in use.
- Purchase non-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paint. Toxins released from VOCs in paint release low-level toxic emissions. Most paint manufacturers now produce one (or more) non-VOC variety of paint. Look for VOC content on labels: usually listed in grams per litre, this can range from 5 to 200.
- Source timber from sustainable forests. Look for the Forest Stewardship Council certification.
- Buy 100 per cent recycled paper.
- If materials need to be dry cleaned, seek suppliers with environmental practices.
- Implement contracts and monitor performance, including the environmental benefits of your new product or service
- Improve performance, such as minimising delivery frequency and miles and reducing packaging.
- What We Do
- FDA Members
- FDA Publications
- Selected FDA Positions
- Safeguarding Copyright
- Centenary of UK Film Distribution
- FDA Tributes
- European Film Distributors’ Forum
- UK Media Protocols
- Contact Us